Saturday, November 11, 2017

Friendship cake - 30 day cake


I cannot even remember where I learned to make this cake, nor who taught me. But I do recall my step mother bringing the starter home.  Its 35 years old.




The starter is a mixture of fruit juices and sugar, it smells like 90 proof and it will get you drunk of you drank it.

This is how to start the 30 day cakes :

You`ll need a gallon glass jug, 1 pint of the starter juice, 2 large cans of sliced peaches with juice ( I also dice them into small chunks) and two cups of sugar.

Put all the above in the glass jar and stir till sugar is dissolved. Do not put the lid all way on, leave it tilted.

Stir daily.

After 10 days has passed add a large can of pineapple tidbits with juice and 2 cups of sugar. Still till the sugar is dissolved.

Stir daily.

After 20 days add two jars of cherries ~no juice~ and 2 cups of sugar. Stir till sugar is dissolved.

Stir daily.

On the 30th. day  bake the cakes. Makes two cakes.

 Making The Cakes :



Drain the juice off of the fruit and set the fruit aside.





Preheat oven to 325°F.






Grease and flour two bunt cake pans, set aside.



For each cake use :

One box of yellow cake mix - sugar free

One box of vanilla pudding mix- dry- sugar free

4 eggs

2/3 cup of vegetable oil

One cup of pecan pieces

One cup of coconut- natural no sugar added

In a large mixing bowl mix the first four ingredients, mashing out any lumps. Add the coconut and pecans.






Pour into the prepared bunt cake pans and bake for one hour at 325°F.





When done they will be golden brown. Carefully, put a plate over the cake pan and flip it over. The cake should come out nicely. Let cool completely before slicing.



Serve with coffee or milk.

Now share the juice and a slice of cake with a friend. Be sure to keep a pint for yourself and your next 30 days cakes.

Note: Since I am a diabetic I do use the sugar free products because there is already sugar in the fruits but you can also use the real mixes that are full sugar.

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry




We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

15 comments:

  1. I have a frozen container of "starter fluid" do you suppose it is still good. I know where I learned to make this. I was not taught about the nuts and coconut but both sound scrumptious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it should be,Thaw it and smell, then taste.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this cake in many years. My grandmother used to make this for the holidays. I had forgotten that, thanks for the gift of remembering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone`s grandmother taught me how to cook :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious and it would be a good way to practice patience. LOL I might have to try it sometime, perhaps using huckleberries and currants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am sure to make the starter just mix the juice with a cup of vodka.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this cake before and has Rex said it would teach patience...lol..See you are up and running with Amazon like me..Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How this brought back memories when I had my jar sitting on the kitchen counter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making two rounds, this one for Thanksgiving and the next for Christmas.

      Delete
  6. So this is the beginning of making fruitcake? I love fruit cake. This sounds that I have to be patience until the day I can bake this. How I wish I can taste this now. Thanks for sharing the recipe Andria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not like those fruitcakes! NOOOOO! This cake has peach and not other one does.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. make your own starter, using peach juice, pineapple juice and 1 cup of vodka.

      Delete
  8. This reminds me a little of those friendship cakes people used to make in the 80s. It's a very similar process where the starter has to be fed, but the recipes I remember had different ingredients. People used to bake their cake with some of the fruit and give the rest to a friend with a copy of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Cooking With Angie - Know How Much

Being healthy is not an easy thing to do nowadays when everything is fast or fried. Even making fresh food at home we can get carri...