Friday, January 5, 2018

Getting Back To Creative - Cooking With Angie



Now that I am settling into 2018 and things are getting back to the daily normal, if there is a such as normal, I will be getting back to being creative in the kitchen.

One of the resolutions I made this year is to use up what I have stockpiled. I have two deep freezers filled with meat, vegetables and fruits. I have a pantry filled with dry good. I have a spare bedroom filled with home canned goods that range from jellies and jams to meat.

To read more about the resolutions click here : New Year 2018 


Although this is just the fifth of the month I have been doing very good at using the home canned stock. 

On the first we had the home canned Kale and left over ham from Christmas  and venison from the deep freezer as part of the new years feast.

To read more about the Feast click here : Southern tradition 


On the second we had Tacos. The meat was also from the home canned stock as well as the salsa, the taco shells were also already in the pantry.



On the third I was tied so we just had chicken salad for dinner, The chicken was from the home canned foods and so was the mayo, I had several jars in the pantry, even the sweet pickles were part of the stock. I made myself one sandwich with shredded lettuce, Tony finished off the rest.



The Forth of January we ate just about all the meals from the stockpile. we had soup and chili for lunch and for dinner we had Chili dogs with fries. Last year I stocked up on weinners, I am sure I had twenty packs, even cooking them off and on all year I still have a few packs left for that quick, fast food at home meal.

Now for the fifth, today. I have no plans to eat at home. I am headed out for the day to work so I will eat out, Chinese is what I am choosing. 

I will sit down and plan out meals, find ways to cook and not get bored with food. 

How about you, do you have any plans for cooking in the new year?

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry





We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

12 comments:

  1. I admire your canning skills, that is one thing I have not done and need to learn how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leanred from the " Ball" caning book and Growyourown.org

      Delete
  2. Good deal having a stock built up like that. I suppose the trick would be keeping new stock put away against what you're eating.
    My only "cooking" goal for the new year is to be able to afford enough food to feed the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry beans(cooked) and potatoes, cant go wrong!

      Delete
  3. Like you, I am reducing my stock pile before I think about restocking. I also do more meal planning so I can come home from work knowing what I will be preparing. I love all your canning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but that is not all of it, I have over 1,000 jars of food. I will continue you home can as I grow it in the garden.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had that n=much socked up. But, I did do a good job with the canned goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether home canned or store bought, a stockpile is good to have. My dad would buy cases of can goods and slide them under the beds.

      Delete
  5. My mother used to can tomato's in various forms in the fall. My father grew many tomatoes! One year we experimented with Tomato Sauce. It was more work but amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you do not get that metal taste from tin cans when you do it at home.

      Delete
  6. Your stockpile is impressive Angie it shows how hard you have worked to achieve that ....Well Done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could show it all, right now its here and there, all over. Soon I hope to have the root cellar and all of it inside there where ts cool in the summer an warm in the winter.

      Delete

Cooking With Angie - Know How Much

Being healthy is not an easy thing to do nowadays when everything is fast or fried. Even making fresh food at home we can get carri...