Saturday, December 30, 2017

Southern Style New Year Day Feast


There are some traditions that are worth carrying on from year to year, some may even call the traditions superstitions, which ever you chose to call it, the food is still wonderful.

I am old school, deep south cook. I know all the very delicious bad for me dishes and I know all the new wave be healthy dishes. January 1st. is a day to lick your greasy fingers with the old school cook in me.

The Menu :

Collards

Black eyed pea patties

Venison meatloaf

Iron skillet baked cornbread

New York style cheesecake


I will have to say that I already had everything in the stockpile. The collards I grew in my own garden and I had put it away in the deep freezer. The black eyed peas came from the dry goods stock from my pantry and the Venison is the deer Tony bagged and that is in the deep freezer. 



I am sure that everyone knows to just boil the collards till done, add salt and sweetener to taste. Optional : toss in a couple pieces of ham during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

As for the meatloaf venison, you just prepare it as you would any ground meat you use for a meatloaf.

I make the New York style cheesecake using the  recipe that is on the cream cheese package.

To the once a year new year day feast - Black eyed pea patties! I never make these but on new year day.



What you`ll need to make black eyed pea patties :

1 - can or 2 cups of cooked black eyed peas

2 - tablespoons of flour

1- egg

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup diced ham (optional)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

A dash of red pepper and salt

Oil

Pour the peas in a large bowl, slightly mash them. 


Add the flour and the egg, mix well.

Add the salt, red pepper and garlic powder, mix.

Add the onions, mix well. Optional : add diced ham.


Over medium high heat add a little oil, just enough to barely cover the bottom, add heaping spoonfuls. 

Fry till the edges are browning before flipping to the other side to brown. 



Remove from skillet into paper towels.

Now that is how to do a Southern style new year day feast!


By Andria Perry
Photo By Andria Perry









We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

14 comments:

  1. The menu sounds yummy. Nothing planned here. This has been a bust. Next year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now all you need is grits and we are talking southern eating nirvana!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No grits with this meal, to me grits will always be a breakfast food. :)

      Delete
  3. I have the black eyed peas soaking now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I've never seen the black-eyed pea patties. I love the idea. Will have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I have never had it, but venison meatloaf sounds absolutely amazing. Now if I can just get one of my hunting buddies to get me a deer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy! For the record I grew up hearing that the traditional rule was to eat "many little things" on New Year's Day. This usually meant rice and beans/peas, often black-eyed peas. Bean/pea patties would also qualify...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun idea w the black eyed pea patties!

    ReplyDelete

Cooking With Angie - Know How Much

Being healthy is not an easy thing to do nowadays when everything is fast or fried. Even making fresh food at home we can get carri...